Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Starting out with a bang - or at least a pop!

Well, it’s about 3:00am on Christmas morning. I’d like to say that I couldn’t sleep in anticipation of Santa’s arrival but the truth is that I threw my back out and am trying to sleep in my recliner without much luck. Anyway.....

The other day I received an invitation to join a Facebook group called “the domino effect”. The group claimed to have been started by a student doing a research paper. At the time it had over 100,000 members. My first thought was, well, “why not?” but then my paranoid took over. Hmmmm, what an opportunity for data collection and social engineering. Someone with access to that group would have access to information about its members, and about their friends, etc. The interesting thing was that the invitation came from someone who fancies themselves to be quite security conscious. That is a little scary. How may “important” people accept invitations like that without giving it a second thought?

Now I’ll take it to an even scarier place. Kevin Johnson and the folks at InGuardians have recently announced a new tool called Social Butterfly that is designed, as I understand it, to collect and correlate information from multiple social networking sites. Can you imagine the possibilities?!?!

OK - time for bed. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment